Musk’s X admits breaking Australian child safety law, fined $650,000
- by theage
- May 21, 2026
- 0 Comments
- 0 Likes Flag 0 Of 5
Elon Musk’s social network X has admitted breaking Australian law by failing to disclose the steps it was taking to combat child sexual exploitation material on its platform, ending a near three-year legal fight by conceding to a $650,000 Federal Court penalty.
In a brief hearing in Melbourne on Thursday, X’s lawyer conceded the contravention of the Online Safety Act. Christopher Tran, appearing for the eSafety Commissioner told the court “the respondent admits that it contravened the Act” and that there was “ongoing noncompliance for some 38 days”.
Musk has previously levelled a slew of public insults at the regulator, labelling her an “unelected bureaucrat” and the “eSafety Commissar”, rhetoric that Inman Grant has said resulted in her receiving death threats and the doxxing of her children.
AP
Justice Michael Wheelahan ordered the company – which Musk acquired for $US44 billion in 2022 and folded into SpaceX earlier this year, ahead of a planned trillion-dollar float – to pay $650,000 in penalties and $100,000 to cover the regulator’s legal costs.
In his ruling, Justice Wheelahan stated that a near-maximum penalty was necessary to act as a genuine deterrent for a corporation of X’s size.
Advertisement
The judge added that the public had “an interest in the commissioner seeking and obtaining a public declaration of contravention, which will contribute to a deterrent effect”, describing reporting requirements as an essential aspect of enforcing Australia’s basic online safety expectations.
The proceedings stem from a transparency notice issued by eSafety in February 2023, when the regulator demanded information from US tech giants about how they were tackling child sexual exploitation and abuse material on their services in Australia.
eSafety Commissioner Julie Inman Grant.
Alex Ellinghausen
According to court filings, X failed to respond, or failed to respond truthfully and accurately, to more than two dozen separate questions, covering matters ranging from the detection of child grooming and livestreaming of abuse to response times for user reports and the deployment of safety-focused engineering staff.
After issuing a $610,500 infringement notice in October 2023, the regulator was forced into protracted litigation when X refused to pay and instead launched a judicial review, arguing it could not be held to account for actions taken by Twitter before the platform’s rebrand. Twitter merged with X Corp, a Nevada-incorporated entity, in March 2023.
Advertisement
That argument was rejected by the Federal Court in October 2024 and again by the Full Federal Court in July 2025, with three judges unanimously finding the obligation to respond was a “liability” inherited by X Corp under Nevada law.
Related Article
Please first to comment
Related Post
Stay Connected
Tweets by elonmuskTo get the latest tweets please make sure you are logged in on X on this browser.
Energy




